Monday, November 26, 2007

The MMORPGs' involvement in gaming and my life

I know this has probably been reviewed, considered and thought of a thousand times over, but i have no intention of being 100% original. This is just my opinion; my little perspective upon MMOs and how they affect your gaming life.
As a kid, i've always been a fan of a type of game called RPG: those little adventures where you could create your own customised character, start small, and grow into something powerful.
It was later, when i got access to the internet, that i came in contact with a new, evolving (at the time) breed of RPGs. Not to say that i didn't hear of them before: i've been reading reviews of Asheron's Call and the like long before i had any internet access. Back then, these games were basically a lower graphical quality, larger world - version of normal RPGs. I didn't know, or had any interest in the phenomenon which keeps many gamers playing: human interaction.
But my time for facing the world came with the introduction of internet access and a nice little game which seemed too much like a Diablo 2 copy (not to say rip-off): Mu Online. I first saw it at an internet cafe and the first thing that came into my head was "hey, a new Diablo 2! Great, i was getting bored of the old one". Not to say it looked that much like diablo 2: everything was a lot more "shiny" than your regular game, with impressive spell effects designed to astound and amaze. Hesitantly, i began a new life in that game while searching for something to fill my time with. It was then when i first came face-to-face with today's MMO's most common concepts: grind. MU is a grind-filled game, so much that you can leave your character grinding while AFK and still acheive one of the best times to a certain level.
I didn't get far in Mu, because i interrupted my gameplay after reaching a high level (about 340) and joined one of my best friends in another, more promising online game called Lineage 2. Lineage 2 is a pay-to-play game, which means you have to pay a monthly fee to play it (a thing which i'm mildly opposed to), but this was a "private" server, a server hosted on another machine whose administrator didn't ask for any fee as a requirement to play. It was low-rate too, so the time needed to get to max level was pretty close to that of retail servers.
It wasn't as flashy, but it sure was more complex than the previous game. And this is where things started getting complicated: the game soon became a race rather than a thing to fill my spare time with, i was running through the game, slowly but surely becoming too impatient. I stopped reading quest logs, instructions, item descriptions, lore... the game suddenly turned into a race to match and overcome the top 25 of my class on that server. I can't say i wasn't getting bored: i was forced to kill a limited number of monsters (aka mobs) over and over again, using the same spell, seeing the same shitty animation a million times, and i had to do that faster than the others could. Needless to say, all was in vain because the server wiped its database and everyone started from zero again with the coming of a new expansion. I was disappointed; i wanted to get the game out of my head and quit it for good. After 2 weeks of sulking on high-rate servers, wanting to see everything there is to see about this game so that i could finally get it out of my system... i came back to the same server i started. This time, with even more will to play and reach the top. And so, my second ascent towards the server's hall of fame started, this time more vigurously and more aggressive than before. I played 14 hours per day, sometimes 16, sometimes standing awake for a full day and more, always trying to catch up those 2 weeks in which the others had risen to a higher level. The "no-lifer"ness didn't really bother me, nor does it bother me now; i chose a support class, and had a lot more fun than i had on my old DD back before the wipe. Overall, i have good memories of that time, and i can say i did something, however minor and irelevant in the long run, that benefited me as a gamer. Yet it didn't do good for my psyche. While before having access to the internet, i was exceedingly meticulous and patient (gaming-wise), now i could hardly play an RPG without zooming through all its content and crossing the finish line like a horse in a race. That's how i finished KoToR 1 and 2: i didn't have the patience to see all the areas, talk with all NPCs and so on. I spent the game like a speed-runner wanting to finish an FPS. I did notice the change, but it was too late to go back now. The server had a pause (a long, 5-month pause) in which i caught up to finishing other games and played on other servers, then i was back, and more willing to get to the top than ever. And i did... joined the biggest clan (aka guild) on the server, and soon became one of the the most popular support chars there (also the highest level support char). Soon, that guild led the server, and was even banned for making it unplayable for lower levels due to constant pk and monopoly. A second wipe was anticipated this time, and probably needed too: i had seen most high-end content, and now needed to study for my high-school graduation exams. It was then when i realised what the so-called gaming spree had done to me. Now i struggle to get my patience back, but i'm afraid i won't be needing it with games becoming less and less complex nowadays.
Why "so-called" gaming spree? Because i still consider MMOs to be cheap, simple clones of actually good games. Some of the pristine gaming elements which i expect to find in a game are missing: the feeling, the atmosphere, the well-thought storyline. The gameplay is a joke (the grind is something no game should have) but the gaping hole in it is somehow patched with what most people treasure more than actual gameplay: interaction between human beings, making friends and so forth.
As for Lineage 2, it wasn't long before i got GM status and i could see everything i wanted about the game, and once its content expired, so did my interest in it start to rapidly fall.
I didn't only play these 2 MMOs however, otherwise i couldn't have afforded to post this. I spent more or less time in many MMOs, including (but not limited to) RF Online, RYL Online, Anarchy Online and World of Warcraft. I seem to have taken a liking to the former, having found in it several aspects other MMOs lack (and also because i play freely on retail servers, courtesy of MisterDevil's budget). I guess this is what a well-made MMO looks like: it has at least a slight, passing resemblance to a good RPG, with the sacrifice of some human interactivity, but i don't mind, honestly. Needless to say, i play it casually now, stopping to take a breath and explore every content i can find, both high-end and low-end.
So to everyone who didn't yet start to play MMOs (i pray that there still are such people): don't consider starting them if you want to maintain a gaming carreer. Yes, you could live some of the nicest moments of your life, but you'll be disappointed when you probably find yourself not having any will to play single-player games anymore. And with singleplayer, you'll miss out on 60-90% of what a game was designed to be. Your call if you want to do that, but i wouldn't call myself a gamer if i did.
Later edit: still need to play eve online...

6 comments:

Nagasaky said...

Yup si eu am jucat si inca joc Lineage 2 . Pe serverul de care vorbeste Shade in articolul de mai sus . Si cred ca se fac acum 2 ani de cand joc . Nu am fost si nici nu sunt o "legenda" pe server . Joc din pura placere si din lipsa de altceva mai bun de facut . Yup... I made friends there dar totusi nu ii poti compara cu cei reali . Personal am o parere buna despre Lineage 2 chiar daca el este ca orice chinezarie . Adica dupa cum s-a spus si mai sus gameplay slab , feeling N/A , sound mai bine le fac eu din gura si effects boring . Dar sa fim seriosi ce ar putea sa faca :P nu cred ca ar mai fi MMO daca ar avea toate cele de mai sus . Si nu va cred nici cand spuneti ca WoW le are . Poate are story dar nu in joc... are story in seria precedenta Warcraft (Warcraft , Warcraft II , Wacraft 3 RoC si Warcraft 3 TFT) .

Shade said...

Never said wow was equal to a single-player RPG, just that out of all MMOs, wow had the most similarities. And yes, it has a story beyond TFT, even though MMOs can't REALLY have a story without it stagnating at some point (ending it would mean ending the server or making it a world event which would have to be repeated for convenience's sake, and that's just not possible with a story), but wow really gives you the impression that the story DOES progress with you. And i was mostly talking about gameplay, not graphics/sound/etc... apparently you didn't get my point.

Anonymous said...

Being a RPG player myself I gotta say that the so-called "MMORPG effect" is a bad one. Played L2 for 2 years or more and on lots and lots of servers (including the one Shade is talking about the most) and I do not have the patience to play single-player games anymore. That doesn't affect me that much because I'm not really a gamer, the only games I can play are RPGs and before L2 I wasn't even doing it on a daily basis, except Diablo 2 for a while.
I've seen all the aspects of L2 (including GM status) and I must say that the only thing that would make me go back to the game would be the chance to work on a server as a developer (once I get more programming knowledge) or a tester/helper since I've enjoyed that the 3 month's I've spent as a GM on some American server.

I've also tried WoW for a couple of days but the PvP system made me quit. When I'm pvping in that game it feels like I'm playing an arcade game. Other than that, the game is really good, a way better RPG than L2 that's for sure. Since I wanna play something new and with a more "RPG-feeling" I will get an account to play LotR Online since it seems like a really good MMORPG but unfortunately, it has no PvP. I'm willing to try something new and check it out since it has lots of good reviews =P

Anonymous said...

Try Eve Online and post your opinion please!I'm curious what you'll say about this MMORPG.

Anonymous said...

True, MMOs change a playa'... Like nazgul, I played l2 for a couple of years (yes, same server everybody else mentioned) but unlike shade's case, the damage it did left very few traces. I admit my experience with MMOs is largely limited to 2 yrs of L2 and some days of WoW...but still. My patience is still there, everything worked out nicely, i even came out of my MMO phase sporting a new group of friends irl.

Incidentally i just played kotor 1 & 2 recently, after quitting L2: i explored every bit of these games, lived them to the max etc etc. I love gaming immensely, and i ain't letting MMOs rob me of my offline experience ^^

The one bad thing that L2 taught me is "the Grind": on more than one occasion I found myself farming in games like Fable, Oblivion, etc. Go figure...

Unknown said...


This blog site is pretty good! How was it made . I view something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to my bookmarks . You can visit my site.
Freicoin